This week we are focusing on condiments, those fabulous sauces and spices that make a dish complete.
Condiments are a very personal thing. So much so that if a meal does not include a specific condiment, the dish just isn’t worth eating. For me it is sour cream with nachos.
Condiments can play many roles when paired with a dish:
- Add another layer of flavour
- Add moisture
- Help smooth out complex flavours
- Provide added texture to a dish
This challenge focuses on learning about condiments and how to make your own at home.
- Mayonnaise and aioli are confusing to many people. What the heck is the difference? This post explains the difference and shows how to easily make your own mayo flavours.
- There is lots of talk online about cooking everything from scratch. Sure homemade is better than store bought, but can be time consuming. Should you also make your condiments at home?
START THE CHALLENGE
Now it is your turn to start the challenge!
- Review the information above.
- Have a look at the condiments you use on a regular basis. Are there any you would like to make at home? Decide whether it is worth your time and effort.
- Check out the recipes provided. Try making one or more of the recipes.