I love blueberry muffins. Not the huge monstrosities found in stores like Costco. I love the smaller ones that are full of flavour and just the right portion size.
To lower the fat, I opted to use apple sauce in place of the oil. I also either use milk or soy milk. You can easily substitute your favourite dairy or non-dairy milk.
Yup, they are just that forgiving.
Make these “healthier”, yummy blueberry muffins, you will not regret it.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12||15 minutes||20 min|
- I use the apple sauce in place of oil. Feel free to add some oil in place of some of the apple sauce
- The milk can be switched out with non-dairy as well
- 1 1/2 Cups (195 grams) Flour
- 3/4 Cup (150 grams) Granulated Sugar (Optional: Extra Sugar for spinkling on top of muffins
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 Cup (80 ml) Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup (125 ml) Milk
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup of Frozen Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder
- In another bowl combine apple sauce, egg, milk, and vanilla extract
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. It will be very thick
- Add blueberries to the batter
- Cook for 20 minutes or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean
- Let cool slightly in pan before removing
- Remove and let cool on a cooling wrack