I recently discovered that split red lentils can make the best fritters ever. Yup, lentils! I cooked them live on Twitch and everyone was just as shocked as I was the first time.
I am so impressed with this magical recipe that I use the plain batter as a fish coating now. The end result is so crunchy and delicious.
The other massive benefit is that lentils carry other flavours beautifully. This makes them the perfect canvas for any flavour profile you prefer.
When you look at the recipe, you will notice that the lentils are not cooked ahead of time. This is correct. Simply let the dried lentils sit in the water to absorb the water.
You will also see a lot of things missing, like flour and eggs. Yup, that is also correct.
The picture above shows fritters with chopped roasted red peppers and other additions. But, these fritters are just as good plain with a bit of salt, pepper and garlic.
Give this a try and experiment with using it in place of other batter options. I know I will be.
Red Lentil Fritters
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|13 Fritters||10 minutes||30 minutes|
- Add any vegetables you like. You do not even need to pre-cook them. Simply cut nice and small or thin. Use about 2 Cups of add-ins if you like.
- Use your favourite spices
- Place cooked fritters in a warm oven to keep them warm until ready to serve
- 1 Cup Dried Red Split Lentils
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Onion
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Dried Dill
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- 1 Roasted Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1/3 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Combine Lentils and Water. Set aside for at least 1 hour. Most of the water will be absorbed by the lentils
- Place the Lentils, Water, Onions, spices, and Garlic in a food processor or blender. Blend until almost smooth.
- Preheat oil for deep frying in a stand alone fryer or a stove top pan
- Once the oil is up to 350°F (you can also place a small amount of batter in the oil to see if it is hot enough) drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil carefully
- When browned on one side, flip and allow to cook on the other side
- Once cooked, remove from heat and place on rack in a warmed oven
- Serve plain or with your favourite dipping sauce (even sour cream is an awesome option)