Roast chicken is one of my favourite meals. But, I invariably end up with leftover chicken that I cannot possible waste.
This chicken pot pie is a great way to use up leftover chicken. Especially when there is not enough chicken to make another full chicken meal.
If you do not have leftover vegetables, using fresh or frozen is perfectly fine. Simple cook it when making the filling.
This is also an awesome option for freezing. Just cool after it is cooked and freeze in a labelled, freezer safe container.
Chicken Pot Pie with Hashbrown Topping
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|5||20 minutes||1 Hour|
- If using uncooked vegetables, be sure to cook them when making the filling
- You can add different cheeses to the topping as well
- This recipe freezes really well
- 75 g (1/3 Cup) Butter
- 1/2 Cup (1 Small) Diced Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 500 ml (2 Cups) Chicken Broth
- 250 ml (1 Cup) Milk
- 2 Cups Shredded Chicken
- 3 Cups Cooked Vegetables diced (ie. Carrots, Corn, Bell Peppers)
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 Cups Grated Potatoes
- 125 g (1 Cup) Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
CHICKEN POT PIE
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204 °C)
- Heat butter in a dutch oven over medium heat
- Add onion and saute until soft
- Add flour and stir well. Allow the flour to cook for about 2 minutes
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium and add milk
- Add vegetables (if using uncooked veggies, allow them to cook for about 15 minutes)
- Add chicken
- Add thyme, oregano, salt and pepper
- Combine potatoes, cheddar cheese, egg, salt, pepper and paprika
BRING IT TOGETHER
- Spread hasbrown topping on top of pot pie filling
- Place in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until the hasbrown topping is browned.