Homemade meatballs are incredibly fast and easy to make. And yet, many people are intimidated by the process. Rest assured, it is not difficult and they are much better than store bought.
This recipe is a fantastic base recipe. It allows for easy customization:
- If you are sensitive to nutmeg, leave it out
- If you love garlic, add more. Don’t have fresh garlic, use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add other spices like cayenne pepper for an added kick
- Use ground pork or beef, or a combo of the two
I like to bake my meatballs because it requires much less babysitting than pan frying them. Not to mention the fact that pan frying can make a huge mess.
Baking in the oven only requires a rimmed baking sheet and flipping them over halfway through the cooking. I do this at about the 10 – 15 minute mark.
Make it Gluten Free
This recipe calls for breadcrumbs, but can easily be made gluten free:
- Use ground up puffed rice, quinoa or millet
- Use ground gluten free Chex cereal
- Opt for dried and ground gluten free bread
Measure out 1/4 cup of your favourite gluten free breadcrumbs and you are good to go.
Freezing For Later
The best thing about this recipe is that it goes with so many different sauces. Whether Asian sauces like Teriyaki or tomato-based pasta sauces – they all work with these meatballs.
This is why making big batches of meatballs and freezing them is a great option.
- Form the meatballs
- Lay them out on a rimmed baking sheet
- Transfer into labeled freezer bag or container
- Take out what you need for a meal, bake them, and add them to your chosen sauce
When you want to cook the frozen meatballs, there is no need to thaw them. Just put them on an ungreased pan and bake at 350 °F (180 °C) for about 30 minutes. Once they reach an internal temperature of 165 °F (74 °C), they are done.
GET MORE INFORMATION
- Homemade meatballs are fast and easy to make. Freeze extra so you always have some on hand.If you are freezing batches and need labels, we have printables.
Classic Homemade Meatballs Recipe
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|20 Meatballs||15 minutes||30 minutes|
- The seasoning can be adjusted to suit your tastes. Add cayenne pepper to add a spicy kick.
- If you are sensitive to nutmeg, feel free to leave it out.
- Make extra and freeze.
- Make them gluten free by using a gluten free substitute for the regular breadcrumbs.
- 454 grams (1 lb) Ground Pork
- 1 Large Egg
- 46 grams (1/3 Cup) Finely Diced Onions
- 20 grams (1/4 Cup) Breadcrumbs
- 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/8 Teaspoon Optional Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper