Our family loves classic baked beans. But, it wasn’t until a few years ago that I tried my hand at making it from scratch.
The first time I made it, I could not believe it was that simple. The flavours are bold and vibrant. The texture was not gritty and mushy like the canned versions, and portion control was much easier using homemade.
Yes, it takes more planning and a bit more time, but it is well worth the effort. If you use a slow cooker, most of the time is passive without the need to watch the pot. It can’t get better than that.
GET MORE INFORMATION
Classic Brown Beans Recipe
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|6-8||20 minutes||7 Hours|
- 825 grams of Cooked Beans is approximately 4-5 Cups, or 3 – 4 cans drained and rinsed beans.
- This recipe freezes extremely well. Be sure to label your containers with the name and date.
- Feel free to substitute cubed cooked ham for the bacon, or diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce.
- 63 grams (3 Tablespoons) Molasses
- 125 millilitres (1/2 Cups) Tomato Sauce
- 50 grams (1/4 Cup) Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon (Optional) Liquid Smoke
- 825 grams (4-5 Cups) Cooked or Canned Navy Beans
- 80 grams (1/2 Cup) Cooked, Chopped Bacon
- 750 millilitres (3 Cups) Water