Napa cabbage is actually one of my favourites from the cabbage family.
Some will know it as Chinese cabbage, napa cabbage, celery cabbage or peking cabbage.
Its most distinctive feature is its shape. Instead of being round with tight fitting leaves, this cabbage head is elongated and the leaves are more loose.
I enjoy this cabbage because it is a little more mild and sweet than the more commonly used green cabbage.
Since it can be eaten raw or cooked in all the same ways other cabbages can be used, it is very versatile.
- There is no need to wash the head before storing. Giving it a quick shake will help dislodge any insect hitchhikers.
- Place in the fridge within a plastic bag or container with a sheet of paper towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Do not cut the leaves off until you are ready to use them.
- Heads will store well for 5 – 7 days in the fridge.
Uses For Napa Cabbage
This cabbage can be used in so many dishes:
- Shred and use it raw in coleslaw
- Cut or shred and use it raw in other green salads
- Add to stir-fries, soups, stews
- The whole leaves can be used raw as wraps and then eaten raw or steamed
- The whole leaves can be steamed
Do you love napa cabbage? Let us know how you like to eat or prepare it.