Ahh cornbread – one of the most controversial recipes out there.
Don’t believe me? A quick search can easily lead to a overwhelming array of opinions. Some very passionate.
There are great debates over whether to make sweet cornbread or not. Which is usually determined by geographic regions and cultures.
I don’t debate cornbread recipes, I just eat them.
Unlike many cornbread recipes, this one only contains cornmeal. It has no added flours or starches. I was initially a bit worried it would be gritty. I came to discover – there is no need to worry.
This recipe is also different in that it uses yogurt instead of buttermilk. Cornbread needs an acid to activate the leavening and the yogurt is great for that. It also makes the cornbread incredibly moist.
Time Saving Tip
I always have my own pre-made cornbread mix on hand in the freezer. I just combine all of the dry ingredients and put it in a freezer bag. Then I fill in a label that lists the rest of the ingredients and the baking instructions. I use strong clear packing tape and tape the label to the freezer bag.
Bonus time saver: Before I tape the label to the bag, I jot down the dry ingredients used in the mix onto the back of the label. If I want to refill the freezer bag with another batch of mix, all of the information I need is on the front and back of the label – no need to look up the recipe!
The next time I want to make some cornbread, I simply pull out one of my mixes and most of the mixing and measuring is already done for me.
Cozy Cornbread Recipe
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|6||5 minutes||20-30 minutes|
- Homemade cornbread is best eaten fresh or within 2 days because it will go stale very quickly.
- Cornbread pairs very well with soups/stews/chili.
- Adapted From: Gluten-Free on a Shoestring: 125 Easy Recipes for Eating Well on the Cheap
- 264 grams (2 Cups) Coarsely Ground Cornmeal
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Large Egg
- 56 grams (4 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter
- 400 grams (1.5 Cups) Plain Yogurt
- 84 grams (4 Tablespoons) Honey