Apple pie spice has always caused me to wonder, “what’s the difference between that and just throwing in some cinnamon and nutmeg?”.
Well, the Internet soon schooled me on this complex and thoroughly wonderful spice blend.
What’s the big difference? Cardamom!
Most of the recipes I found contained cardamom. I later found out that when it doesn’t, it’s just missing something.
When I first mixed in the cardamom, I tasted it from the jar and thought it tasted awful. It couldn’t possibly be right. I went with it anyway and used in in an oatmeal recipe. The spice blend transformed and was wonderful.
After much experimenting, this is now my go to apple pie spice blend recipe. Go ahead and give it a try, and adjust the seasoning to your taste after you have cooked with it.Whenever I think of adding cinnamon to a recipe, I always reach for the Apple Pie Spice
- Even savoury dishes like pork with apple
If you like using apple pie spice in many recipes, buying store brands could get quite expensive. Using your own blend will be much tastier and way less expensive.Apple Pie Spice RecipePrint Recipe
Apple Pie Spice Recipe
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|1 Jar||5 minutes||0|
- This recipe makes 38 grams or about 6 Tablespoons of blend.
- Add to oatmeal, muffins, cookies, and even savoury dishes like pork with apple
- 28 grams (1/4 Cup) Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cardamom