This week’s challenge is all about eggs.
Eggs are a wonderful food that comes complete in a neat little package. They really have a lot going for them:
- High quality protein
- Nutrient dense
- Very economical source of protein
Not only are eggs nutritious on their own, they are also workhorses in the kitchen:
- Adds flavour and richness to other foods
- Acts as a binding agent (meatloaf, crab cakes, hamburgers, breading)
- Acts as a leavener (muffins, cakes)
- Used for thickening (sauces, custards)
- Acts as an emulsifier (mayonnaise, salad dressings, Hollandaise sauce)
- Used to coat or glaze baked goods (breads, cookies, pie crusts)
With so many uses for eggs, it is important to understand eggs and how to use them.
This challenge will touch on many aspects of eggs so that you can be more informed and start using this economical, nutritious beast in the kitchen.
We have included information that will answer many questions you may have about eggs.
- Learn about how to store and handle eggs
- Let’s clear up some common egg myths
- Egg meringues are in many recipes. Learn about the 3 main types of meringues
- Learn how to make perfect hard and soft boiled eggs every time (Hint: Don’t boil them)
- Some of our recipes that use eggs:
START THE CHALLENGE
Now it is your turn to start the challenge!
- Review the information above.
- Cook one or more recipes that use eggs to try out your new knowledge. There are a few recipes provided above, or find others on sites like Pinterest.